The Migration Data Portal
The Migration Data Portal aims to serve as an access point to timely, comprehensive migration statistics and reliable information about migration data globally.
The Migration Data Portal website is designed to help policy makers, national statistics officers, journalists and the general public interested in the field of migration to navigate the increasingly complex landscape of international migration data, currently scattered across different organisations and agencies.
The Migration Data Portal was launched in December 2017 and is managed and developed by IOM’s Global Migration Data Analysis Centre (GMDAC), with the guidance of its Advisory Board, and was supported in its conception by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU).
The user can explore the Migration Data Portal through six main sections:
- Data: interactive world map visualizing international, publicly-available and internationally comparable migration data.
- Themes: thematic overviews explaining how various aspects of migration are measured, what are the data sources, their strengths and weaknesses and providing context and analysis of key migration data.
- Tools: helping to find the right tools, guidelines and manuals on how to collect, interpret and disseminate migration data.
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Global Compact on Migration (GCM): reviews of the migration-related targets in the SDGs, how they are defined and measured, information on the new GCM and the migration data needed to support its implementation.
- Overviews: key migration statistics by country and region and profiles of countries' migration governance structures according to the Migration Governance Indicators (MGI).
- Blog: a platform for the migration data community to share their opinion on new developments and policy, new data or methods.
Wednesday 11 December 2019